Call for a Research Fellow under the “BRANT – Belief Revision applied to Neurorehabilitation Therapy” project financed by the FCT, PTDC/CCI-COM/30990/2017
A call is open for one research fellow at the Madeira Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) of the University of Madeira (Funchal, Portugal), in the context of the “BRANT – Belief Revision applied to Neurorehabilitation Therapy” project financed by the FCT, PTDC/CCI-COM/30990/2017 under the following conditions:
Scientific areas: Software Engineering, Informatics, Human Computer Interaction
The ideal candidate would be a Software Engineer, Informatics Engineer or a related area with background in one or more of the following fields: Unity development, website development, Human-Computer Interaction.
Applicants should be eligible for a FCT scholarship and fulfill the following requirements at the moment of the beginning of the contract:
- Bachelor (licenciatura) degree in Software Engineering, Informatics or a related area relevant for the project.
- Currently enrolled in a masters program or similar;
- Experience in Unity programing.
- Strong programming background in multiple languages (C#, PHP, java).
- Back end and front-end website development skills.
- Willingness to participate in End—User evaluations with healthy, elderly and patients.
- Being open to learn and adapt to challenges and new methodologies.
- Availability to start immediately.
- Strong oral and written English communication skills, people skills, the ability to work independently as well as a team member of the NeuroRehabLab (http://neurorehabilitation.m-iti.org/lab/) and taking the initiative and being proactive;
Cognitive deficits are common after brain injury, dementia and in normal cognitive decline due to aging. Current cognitive rehabilitation therapy has been shown to be the most effective way to address this problem. However, a) they are not adaptive for every patient and b) have a high cost, and is usually implemented in clinical environments. The Task Generator (TG) is a free tool for the generation of cognitive training tasks. However, TG is not designed to adapt and monitor the evolution of the patient. Here we propose BRaNT, an enhancement of TG with Artificial Intelligence modules, gamification and remote monitoring capabilities to enable Health Professionals to provide long-term personalized cognitive rehabilitation therapy at home. BRaNT is an interdisciplinary effort that addresses the scientific limitations of current practices as well as provides solutions towards the sustainability of health systems and contributes towards the improvement of the quality of life of patients.
The main task for the accepted candidate will be to support the BRaNT project and implement software tools (in tablets, website technologies and/or Unity Game Engine) for Virtual Rehabilitation interventions using VR applied to cognitive rehabilitation.
The main tasks will consist of:
- Support the development of virtual reality scenarios using the Unity game engine (https://unity3d.com/) for post stroke rehabilitation, with emphasis on the cognitive aspect.
- Support the integration of applications with databases.
- Support frontend and backend website development.
Legislation and regulations: The scholarships are directed to applicants under the current conditions established on the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/) and Research Grant Holder Statute.
Workplace: The candidate will work within an interdisciplinary team of researchers with competences in both technical and clinical domains. The work will be conducted at Madeira-ITI (Funchal, Portugal) in close collaboration with the MACBIOIDI project partners and end users, under the supervision of Prof. Sergi Bermúdez i Badia (http://neurorehabilitation.m-iti.org).
Scholarship length: The scholarship will have a length of 12 months and can be renewed until the end of the project.
Monthly stipend: The student will receive a stipend of 798€/month as determined by the FCT regulations (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). Voluntary Social Security (SSV) and accidents insurance are included.
Selection process: The selection process will be based on:
- Motivation letter (10%)
- Curriculum Vitae (30%)
- Previous experience (20%)
- Interview (40%) in case of multiple eligible candidates
Recommendation letters are facultative but can contribute positively to the evaluation.
Selection committee: Mónica Cameirão, PhD, Sergi Bermúdez i Badia, PhD (President), Eduardo Fermé, PhD.
Notification of results: The results will be published through an ordered list by final note that will be posted in a visible and public place at the Madeira-ITI, being all candidates notified by email.
Candidacy term and applications form: The competition will be open over the period of 18-03-2020 and 10-04-2020.
· Transcript of degrees,
· motivation letter
· Proof of enrolment in a masters degree or similar.
Applications and queries must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “BRANT_HR02”