Topics may change per year. Example list of reading material. Each students selects one topic to delve in detail, but reads and reflects on all the material below:
Motivations for Social Networking
(1) Adam N. Joinson. 2008. Looking at, looking up or keeping up with people?: motives and use of facebook. In Proceeding of the twenty-sixth annual SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems (CHI '08). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1027-1036.
(2) Joan DiMicco, David R. Millen, Werner Geyer, Casey Dugan, Beth Brownholtz, and Michael Muller. 2008. Motivations for social networking at work. In Proceedings of the 2008 ACM conference on Computer supported cooperative work (CSCW '08). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 711-720.
(1) Luis von Ahn and Laura Dabbish. 2008. Designing games with a purpose. Commun. ACM 51, 8 (August 2008), 58-67. DOI=10.1145/1378704.1378719http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1378704.1378719
(2) L. von Ahn, B. Maurer, C. McMillen, D. Abraham, and M. Blum. reCAPTCHA: Human-Based Character Recognition via Web Security Measures. Science, September 2008.
(1) Joinson, A.N. & Paine, C.B. Self-Disclosure, Privacy and the Internet. In A.N Joinson, K.Y.A McKenna, T. Postmes and U-D. Reips (Eds). Oxford Handbook of Internet Psychology (pp. 237-252). Oxford University Press (2007).Joinson_sd.pdf
(2) Norman Sadeh, Jason Hong, Lorrie Cranor, Ian Fette, Patrick Kelley, Madhu Prabaker, and Jinghai Rao. 2009. Understanding and capturing people's privacy policies in a mobile social networking application. Personal Ubiquitous Comput. 13, 6 (August 2009), 401-412. DOI=10.1007/s00779-008-0214-3 [pdf]
Online games and virtual worlds
(1) Partala, T. Psychological needs and virtual worlds: Case Second Life. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 69 (12), 2011, 787-800[pdf]
(2)Nardi, B., & Harris, J. (2006). Strangers and friends: Collaborative play in world of warcraft. In CSCW 2006: Proceedings ACM conference on computer-supported cooperative work. New York: ACM Press.
(1)Antti Oulasvirta, Renaud Petit, Mika Raento, and Sauli Tiitta. 2007. Interpreting and acting on mobile awareness cues. Hum.-Comput. Interact. 22, 1 (May 2007), 97-135.
(2)Natalia Romero, Panos Markopoulos, Joy Baren, Boris Ruyter, Wijnand Ijsselsteijn, and Babak Farshchian. 2007. Connecting the family with awareness systems. Personal Ubiquitous Comput. 11, 4 (April 2007), 299-312